Preferred location is in either Kenya or Rwanda (with travel internationally required 8 to 10 weeks per year). Would also consider a candidate who is based in Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, or Malawi
The Government Relations and Policy team works with governments at a local, national, and regional level to advocate on behalf of our organization´s clients. The team builds relationships with government officials to keep them informed about our work, ensure we comply with all laws related to our field work, and create opportunities to better serve our clients. The team also a dvocates across Africa, the United States, and Europe to improve policies that benefit smallholder farmers. The Global Director of Government Relations and Policy will lead the team as it expands into new countries and new policy landscapes.
- Managing a team of 50+ government relations staffers with local, national, and regional portfolios
- Mentoring individual staff members to become stronger leaders and more effective managers
- Setting the vision for government relations operations in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia and all pilot countries
- Leading strategy for policy and advocacy projects across Africa, the United States and Europe
- Driving organizational risk management on key issues related to political and immigration trends in the countries where we operate
- Ensuring government relations staff provide clear analysis and support to our organization´s leadership on expansion planning, both in new and existing countries
- Ensuring all required licenses and registrations are secured for the complete portfolio of products offered in each country program, including in new fields like nutrition
Education qualifications and Work experience
- 8-10+ years´ work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development.
- Must have experience working with governments on behalf of organizations or policy initiatives
- Current relationships within the government, or ability to create relationships quickly at all levels of government
- Significant experience working in international development or related industries, ideally in work that touches on the private sector or social enterprises.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large, multi-country teams with varied professional development needs.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the minimum requirements should apply by sending a copy of their CV and cover letter and indicate on cover letter current salary, benefits and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.